Friday, November 16, 2007

Project #1 - Travel Changing Mat

This is the mat rolled up and ready to travel:














This is the side the baby lays on to get changed:














Like this!:














This is the outside of the mat:














Miriam is not too sure about it. She'll like it when she feels how soft it is--not like that icky plastic thing I've been using.




I have been waiting to start on my sewing projects because the organic flannel I want to make diapers from is temporarily out of stock at my favorite online organic fabric store (http://www.organiccottonplus.com/). However, I discovered an awesome web store a few days ago where you can buy and sell homemade stuff--www.etsy.com (check it out for fun, inexpensive, homemade Christmas presents!!)--and I felt inspired by all baby items there to get going with my sewing machine (actually, my mom's machine--mine is in my basement in Saint Louis). So I made a trip to good old Jo-Ann's Fabrics and picked up supplies. Definitely not the quality organic fabrics that I would like to work with, but it is probably a good idea to try everything out with cheap non-organic fabrics first. And indeed, I did discover a few useful tidbits while working on this changing mat. #1: Chenille (the fuzzy pink fabric) is a pain to work with. There are fuzzy pink bits of it all over our apartment and after you cut it it seems to magically change shape. #2: I still hate hand sewing. I had to hand-sew one of the edges to this, but after I was done I thought of a way I could have done it with the machine instead. Otherwise, it was fun and I'm excited to start on my next project!

No comments: